is operated by the Citizens' Cemetery
Association, founded in 1885, by prominent
citizens in an effort to establish a cemetery for
Johnstown's rapidly growing population.
The first interment
was that of Lucretia Hammond of Kernville on
April 30, 1887.
cemetery initially was known as Grand View
Cemetery. The trustees selected the name to
reflect the "grand view" of the city.
acres on Yoder Hill west of the city was
purchased from the Cambria Iron Co. The company
had used the site as pasture and farmland for
horses and mules used in its mills and mines.
late 1880s, a winding carriage road over one-mile
long was constructed up Yoder Hill with two
imposing stone arch memorial entrances. Near the
upper arch an administration building and
maintenance garage were erected in 1897. Soon
afterward it was found that an entrance to the
cemetery from the Westmont side would be
necessary. In 1904 this entrance was made at
Bucknell Ave., along with the building of a stone
fence extending along Millcreek Road, a distance
of 3,520 feet, for protection of cemetery
grounds. In 1991 this wall was extended an
additional 2,530 feet along Millcreek Road to
Menoher Boulevard. Its design, of cut stone
columns connected by black aluminum rods along
the winding shape of the road creates an artistic
looking boundary for this section of the
1940s the old roadway was abandoned with the
construction of Menoher Boulevard or the
"Easy Grade Highway" as it is better
known. A new, modern administration building and
maintenance garage replaced the old structures in
the cemetery's historical significance comes from
the Johnstown Flood of 1889. Many of the Flood's
2,209 victims are buried there. A section called the
"Unknown Plot" Contains the bodies of
777 flood victims who could not be identified.
The state Flood Commission purchased the plot for
burying the unidentified victims. The commission
bought markers for each grave and a monument that
cost $6,500. This monument, with its immediate
surroundings, forms probably the most striking
feature of the cemetery. It was dedicated May 31,
1892, in the presence of about 10,000 people,
among them the Governor of the State and many
prominent men from all over the Commonwealth.
Johnstown Flood Centennial of 1989, 700,000
people from all over the state, nation and world
visited the Johnstown Flood Memorial near St.
Michael, the Johnstown Flood Museum in downtown
Johnstown featuring the Academy-Award-winning
film about the flood by Charles Guggenheim, and
the Unknown Plot at Grandview Cemetery.
of people ask each year for directions to the
cemetery and the locations of gravesites of
relatives and friends.
cemetery contains the grave of Lt. Col. Boyd
"Buzz" Wagner, the first American air
ace of World War II. Also buried in Grandview is
John G. McCrory, founder of the McCrory 5-and-10
of persons at Grandview as of March 31, 1992 was
57,006. In 1977, three masoleums were added to
the cemetery. To this day, the names of all
persons interred in Grandview are hand written in
the Chronological Book of Interment.
47 burial sections and more than 235 acres, the
cemetery is one of the largest in Pennsylvania.