Timber Abundant

There was an abundance of timber for the boats and rafts. On the uncleared areas, cedar, pine, oak, cherry, poplar and chestnut grew in great profusion. As late as 1877 the chestnut crop continued to be a source of local income. That year over 225,000 pounds of chestnuts were shipped to Pittsburgh markets.

The boating trade attracted a few more settlers, like Shepley Priestley, the merchant and postmaster; Robert Hamilton, the builder and carpenter; Daniel Huber, a harnessmaker; John Dibert, farmer.

In 1811 the first public school -- “Old Blacky” -was erected at Market and Napoleon Streets where Joseph Johns had set aside a lot for that purpose. It later became the location of Johnstown High School, now known as Joseph Johns Junior High School.

Back to History Page

Johnstown Pennsylvania Information Source Online
Designed by Michaels Computing
Send Email To: