New Owners

On leaving his settlement in 1807, Johns sold the town to William Hartley and Dr. John Anderson for $5,000. They kept it three years and in 1808 sold out to John Holliday of the Juniata Valley. Holliday built an iron forge on the banks of the Stonycreek, but abandoned the project when a flood destroyed his equipment.

Holliday sold his holdings in Conemaugh Old Town to Peter Levergood for $8,000 in 1811. Two years later Levergood sold out to George Brenizer and Thomas Burell for $12,583.

However, Levergood eventually regained the property and became the town's most successful developer. In 1818, when Brenizer and Burrell could not make the payments agreed upon, Levergood bought the property back at sheriff sale for $6.18. Levergood kept the property in his possession until his death in 1860. When he died he left $50,000 in gold in a Johnstown bank.

Back to History Page

Johnstown Pennsylvania Information Source Online
Designed by Michaels Computing
Send Email To: